Friday, April 18, 2008

The Hunt Begins

Nerard is not quite so surprised this time by the approaching adventurers.
“You return faster than I expected, but I can see that you have regained some composure, Ky’mera,” Nerard speaks softly.
Novak notices the feint remanance of Nerard’s orcish blood in his bottom teeth as he speaks. Nerard continues, “Gentlemen, please sit down.”
The adventurers ,to protect from the noonday sun, sit down under the awning.
“Everything happened last night. It was so chaotic. But we have a witness. Wait… I’m getting ahead of myself. Let me start from the beginning. What I’m about to tell you is only known by the town’s elders, of which, Ky’mera, your father was one. The sensitivity of what I am about to tell you is not so sensitive anymore, because we have failed. The mound over there,” Nerard points to a small hill about 200 yards away, “is actually the burial site of a king from thousands of years ago; hence the name of Kingsholm. Prophecy says that this king will rise to help defend in the most desperate hour. However, things have been relatively calm for so long that we are far from a desperate hour. The burial mound used to be guarded by at least two guards at all times. Like I said, things have been so calm, plus no one knows about the burial mound, that we decided to have one person guard the mound. The town’s elders took turns at this. Honestly, it seemed like a waist of time. I mean, this village doesn’t seem like a target, and there’s nothing around us except for other peaceful villages. But it seems like we were hit from the only direction we did not expect… from below,” Nerard points down to the ground.
“Let me show you where we found your father’s body… and get the young errand boy to fill in some details.” Nerard rings a bell and a servant comes forth. “Please go fetch young Niko and tell him to meet us at his secret entrance on the mound.” Nerard gives the servant a wink and stands up signaling to the adventurers to do the same. “Let’s make our way to the tunnel so I can tell you the rest of the story.”
The adventurers follow Nerard for the five minute hike to see a young boy sitting on a stone on the side of the hill. When the group is about 50 feet away, the young boy stands up and pushes at the stone with all his might. Novak smiles as he admires the meager effort of the weakling putting all his might into sliding the stone. The stone is slid just enough to reveal a tunnel when the group reaches the boy. “Here, me help,” remarks Novak as the boy steps aside.
“Wow, you’re strong mister,” Niko comments while Novak moves the stone with one arm.
Meanwhile, Mully is admiring the cleverness of the covering. “If I hadn’t known this was here, I probably would have missed this. This is really well hidden. How did you find this, young sir?”
“My friends and I play here all the time, and one time, when Tomi pushed Merk, Merk fell into the stone and it moved. So we all got together and pushed the stone,” replied Niko. Mully nods a “thank you.”
“As you can see, it leads to a tunnel,” speaks Nerard. “One of the Dwarfs in town said it was quickly built by hand and magic—definitely not up to dwarven standards. And as for our unruly Niko here, he’s been quite a help. He was playing in the tunnel last night when all this transpired. Niko was lucky to not be seen, isn’t that right Niko?” Niko bows his head and gives a timid nod. “Gentlemen, please follow me,” Nerard says as he pulls a torch out of his side satchel. It lights immediately with a feint green illumination.
The group descends with the tunnel for what seems like a quarter-mile. Nerard stops and says, “look up. This is where Niko saw the lady come down. Niko, please…”
“I couldn’t understand what she said, but she had an argument with … your father. Your father said ‘you will leave with those over my dead body!’ and she said something I couldn’t understand and stabbed him. He fought back, but I couldn’t see everything. He fell. Then she raised her blade and swung down hard. She then picked up something and walked away. I was really scared, but I stayed quiet. When I couldn’t see her anymore, I ran away… all the way back home… without stopping.”
“Thank you Niko,” says Nerard. “If there’s nothing else, then you are free to go.” Niko nods and walks back toward the entrance. Nerard waits for a couple minutes and says “Niko?… good, I think he’s gone. Now for the rest of the events that have pieced together. The big blade swing that Niko saw, we are pretty sure that was decapitating the body. Then she absconded with the head. Above us is the passage to the bottom of the King’s tomb. What your father tried to prevent her leaving with… the king’s bones, and some other treasure. Obviously, she is aware of the prophecy too. Why else would she steal bones? A local ranger from town followed her tracks down this way. Follow me.”
The group descends down the tunnel for another quarter-mile before stopping at a cliff edge. “The tracks end here. We’re pretty sure she descended down this way. It’s over a hundred feet down. No one has been down there yet. We’re waiting for Hamu and others to return to lead this expedition, but they are not due back for a week. The town elders have decided to not let anyone pursue until Hamu returns. Ky’mera, if we are to raise your father, we can’t wait that long. Obviously, as a town elder, I cannot allow you to descend down this cliff. Also know that the tomb is being watched, by us, but few know about the stone cap where we entered this tunnel. Gentlemen, I need to leave, but I don’t think I can carry this satchel back; it is too heavy and will impede my progress.” Nerard sets the satchel down, with the torch on top of it, and he walks away up the tunnel into the darkness.

No comments: